Friday 28 May 2010

Installing ARD through commandline (trackpad not working)

So, an interesting problem with Jessas' laptop. The trackpad button thought it was always being pressed! A simple problem, but it would not allow you to do anything on the mac using the mouse. I tried lots of things including trying to tick the box which said "disable trackpad when mouse present, but it wouldn't let me. On top of that was the problem that it was OS X 10.4 and the command for ticking the box didn't work either:


defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.ignoreTrackpadIfMousePresent 0

So my next plan was to enable ARD on her laptop and remote in, it hopefully registering the ARD clicks (i could always block off the user with it too. Soooo, I eventually found this command:

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -configure -access -on -clientopts -setvnclegacy -vnclegacy yes -clientopts -setvncpw -vncpw mypasswd -restart -agent -privs -all


The "kickstart" command does have a -help option. I found I had to edit some of these options because I couldn't get it to start straight away. Got there in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment